Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Well here's the story...

OK the week started out a bit rough what with Ken and I meeting in Lincoln eight and a half hours later than originally planned, and then Ken getting a flat tire just before we got to the switchback, and having to go back to Lincoln for a jack and loosing Ken's cell phone. Actually it got kind of funny when neither of us had a watch and the battery on Ken's laptop died. Other than seeing some cool HUGE grizzly bear tracks and some mountain lion tracks, Monday the 27th was a bit of a write-off.
Tuesday morning we woke up a bit late since we didn't have any way to tell time, but we scrambled up to the top of the Rocky Basin as soon as we were concious. We didn't see anything that we couldn't resist so we just chilled at Uncle Dave's log most of the morning. After we went back to camp, Ken had to run in to Lincoln again to call Kathy, and I dropped down to the bottom of the Big Basin to my tree stand by the spring. (which by the way is probably a better bow stand than rifle stand I decided) Anyhow I had only sat in my stand about 40 minutes when I realized that I had lost both of my coats on the way down the mountain. So I decided to hike out and retrace my steps up until I found my coat and I'd just sit the rocky point that evening. Which I did, but only saw one mulie doe. I did hear some elk cow calling, but wasn't able to move on them. So I hiked out of the big basin Tuesday night in the dark, and a bit discouraged. I got to camp and the first thing I said to Ken was "Dude what in the heck are we doing here?" To which Ken replies "well Russ take a look at me." So I shined my flashlight on him and doggonit that stinker was covered in blood from head to toe!! So Ken told me the awesome story of having to drive to Lincoln and then hike his tail off to get up the mountian and just as he peeked his head over to see into the Rocky Basin there.. out in the middle of the basin was a 5-point bull elk! So he backed away took off all his pack and gear etc. and crawled out to Uncle Daves Log. He ranged the bull at 140 yards and with one shot of his lethal 270 short mag Ken had himself a nice bull elk!!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Thanks Russ! Ken may want to clarify that his bull is a 5x7 (not just a wimpy 5). Ha ha. Nice that your success was accentuated by the feeling of near defeat just prior. Great story, we are waiting for the rest (and Ken's version)!

Party of Five said...

wow. hunting is gross. I"m happy that you do it though, cause it makes you all so giddy. Good job on the blood spillage and good wishes. May your freezers be full all winter, and your walls be strewn with flesh. Love, Wendy

Party of Five said...

Just to clarify............ I meant to say "may your freezers be full all winter, and your walls be strewn with ANIMAL flesh. Much better. And for that matter, make it "clean, tanned, and taxiderm-ized animal flesh." Much much better.